Unless a decision to the contrary is announced by the Office of the Chancellor, IU Southeast will operate as scheduled and all instructors are expected to meet every scheduled class.
If the chancellor or a designated representative decides that weather conditions are so hazardous that morning classes should be delayed, an announcement will be made on the campus web site and area radio and television stations to follow the "Snow Schedule" as follows.
Monday through Friday
- 8 a.m. classes meet at 10 a.m. for 50 minutes
- 9:30 a.m. classes meet at 11 a.m. for 50 minutes
- 11 a.m. classes meet at 12 Noon for 50 minutes
- Morning classes meet at 10:30 a.m. for 90 minutes
When the Snow Schedule is in effect, faculty members should not come to the campus before 10 a.m. to avoid interfering with snow removal from driveways and parking lots.
If weather conditions are so hazardous that classes cannot be held, it will be announced via the web site and radio and television stations that the campus is CLOSED and faculty members should not come to campus. If the campus is closed, off-campus classes are also cancelled. If an off-campus class is offered at a public school or other facility that is closed due to weather, the class is cancelled even if the IU Southeast campus is open.
Information about delays or cancellations may also be obtained by dialing the IU Southeast “Weather Line” at (812) 941-2567. This information will also be sent to campus e-mail users under the heading “Important Notice” highlighted with an exclamation mark.
Since many students come from distant places where the weather may be quite different from that at the campus, faculty members are urged to be lenient in excusing absences and arranging for making up work missed during periods of severe weather.
If it is necessary to miss a scheduled class because of illness, death in the family, or other urgent matter, the faculty member should:
- Arrange for a replacement instructor, if possible, so that the class will not have to be canceled. Payment of a substitute or "colleague coverage" is the personal responsibility of the regular instructor.
- If cancellation is unavoidable, the instructor should notify the office staff in the office of the instructor’s school, who will notify the Information Desk to help inform students.
- If class meetings must be canceled, the sessions should be made up by special meetings or by the assignment of additional academic work.