The Southeast campus traces its history to the 1941 opening of the Falls Cities Area Center in Jeffersonville. By 1968, the campus had adopted its present name and was beginning to graduate students with baccalaureate degrees. In 1973, IU Southeast moved to its current campus in New Albany. Today it offers more than 50 graduate, undergraduate, and associate degree programs in the fastest growing careers, to a student body numbering approximately 7,000.
Dr. Gerald O. Haffner, late Professor Emeritus of History, wrote a brief, informal history of IU Southeast covering the period 1941 to 1973.